Memorial Makes the Grade
Whitgift School Memorial
Earlier this year, Whitgift’s War Memorial was granted Listed Building Status, in recognition of both its historic interest ‘as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the School, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the 20th century’.
The WWI memorial was unveiled in March 1922, in a ceremony attended by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Randall Davidson and Sir John Raynsford Longley, KCMG CB. It was designed and constructed by the Croydon-based funeral directors Ebbutt & Sons, with the assistance of local ex-servicemen. The memorial was moved from the grounds of the old School in North End, Croydon to the current site in Haling Park, in 1931. Later, an adjacent mural for the Fallen of the Second World War was added, also designed by Ebutts, and unveiled in May 1949 in a ceremony attended by the Bishop Suffragan of Croydon, Cuthbert Bardsley and Major-General W S Tope, CB, CBE. The mural depicts two globes, one for each hemisphere, between which is a cross fleury.
The Memorial, which takes centre stage during the School’s annual Remembrance Day Service, has now been listed at Grade II, having been added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. The listing helps mark the memorial’s significance and brings specific protection in managing its future.