Whitgiftian Association/Whitgiftian Association Trust Alumni and Supporters Information
This statement explains how the Whitgiftian Association and the Whitgiftian Association Trust (“we” and “our”) handles and uses data we collect about our alumni and our past, current and potential supporters (“you” and “your”). In broad terms, we use your data to keep in touch with you as alumni and supporters, in order to keep you appraised of our activities and developments, to provide services to you, and to identify ways in which you can support us, through donations and/or other forms of financial and non-financial support.
How your data is used by the Whitgiftian Association
Your data is used by us for a number of interdependent purposes, including alumni relations, communications and fundraising. These include:
- Publications, surveys
- Appeals and requests for donations, including research on when and whether particular donations or funding appeals may be of interest to you
- The promotion of Alumni and other Whitgiftian Association events, and Whitgift (“the School”) events
- The promotion of other services open to our members.
Communications to you may be sent by post, telephone or electronic means, depending on the contact details we hold and the preferences expressed by you about the types of communications you wish to receive.
If you have concerns or queries about any of these purposes, or how we communicate with you, please contact us at the address given below.
What data is held by the Whitgiftian Association?
We work closely with the School and the Foundation as a result of our shared interest in having a coordinated approach to our alumni and supporters. We have a separate database from the School, but we also have access to the School’s database: additionally, we maintain other electronic and paper records. Any transmission of data to or from the School is managed through agreed processes that comply with UK data protection legislation. The School has its own data protection statement and procedures.
Most records contain:
- Details of your school and School education
- Details of your involvement with the Whitgiftian Association, the Whitgiftian Association Trust and the Whitgift Sports Club
- Unique personal identifiers (e.g. student number, date of birth), and
- Your contact details.
Where provided by you, or provided by the School or obtained from reputable sources, we may also record:
- Your invitations to and attendance at Whitgiftian Association or School events
- Other contact with us or the School since leaving school
- Your key relationships with other alumni or supporters of the Whitgiftian Association, the Whitgift Sports Club and/or the School
- Your career and other life achievements
- Donations made by you to either the Whitgiftian Association, the Whitgiftian Association Trust, the Whitgift Sports Club or the School
- Financial information relating to you and any of your key relationships (including but not necessarily limited to income and philanthropic giving)
- Information about your areas of personal interest
- Personal data provided by you for a specific purpose or purposes (for example, disability, catering preferences or lifestyle status for event management), and
- Your communication preferences.
Where data is included from sources external to the School and the Whitgiftian Association, we only use data from our partners (as outlined below) or other reputable sources. We may use automated or manual analyses to link data together to help us identify your potential for supporting us and/or the School.
When the Whitgiftian Association shares your data with others
Depending on constraints set by you, and which you may change at any time, we may share any of the above categories of data with the School.
Additionally, we may share data on a considered and confidential basis, where appropriate, with:
- Third party agencies who provide us with data in the public domain about alumni and supporters (e.g. Royal Mail National Change of Address database, BT Operator Services Information System, Companies House)
- Selected companies who provide Whitgift-branded or Whitgiftian Association-endorsed products and services
- Volunteer partners closely related to us (e.g. The Whitgift Foundation, Whitgiftian Association Trustees, the Whitgift Sports Club, development board members, alumni group representatives),
- Contractors providing services to you on our behalf or services to us (our “data processors”).
We do not sell your personal data to third parties under any circumstances, or permit third parties to sell on the data we have shared with them.
We also facilitate communication between individual alumni but in doing so we do not release personal contact details without prior permission.
Any transfers of your data overseas or to international organisations, as set out above, are protected either by an adequacy decision by the European Commission or by standard data protection clauses adopted by the European Commission or, before 25 May 2018, by a self-assessment of adequacy.
The legal basis for processing your personal data is your consent, where you have provided this, and otherwise our legitimate interest.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. There is no statutory or contractual requirement for you to provide us with any personal data.
In addition to the rights outlined above, you have the right: to ask us for access to, rectification or erasure of your data; to restrict processing (pending correction or deletion); to object to communications or direct marketing; and to ask for the transfer of your data electronically to a third party (data portability).
We will retain your data indefinitely or until you request us to do otherwise. We will publish on our website any changes we make to this data protection statement and notify you by other communication channels where appropriate.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
Questions and further statutory information
The controller for your personal data is the Alumni Relations Officer at the Whitgiftian Association, who can be contacted at email@example.com.
Please contact us through the address given above if you have any concerns or questions about the above information. Where you have specific requests relating to how we manage your data, we will endeavour to resolve these, but please note that there may be circumstances where we cannot comply with your specific request.
Where you opt out of all future communications or exercise your right to erasure, we will continue to maintain a core set of personal data (name, subject(s), career details and date of birth) to ensure we do not contact you inadvertently in future, while still maintaining our record of your career and achievements. We may also need to retain some financial records about you for statutory purposes (e.g. Gift Aid, anti-fraud and accounting matters).
If you have any concerns about your personal data held by Whitgift School or the Whitgift Foundation, you will need to contact them separately.